There are plenty of autoimmune conditions and celiac disease is one of them. In this case, patients suffer from damages to their intestine and mainly the effect will be on the lining of the intestine. The symptoms of this disease can be easily triggered by foods that contain gluten. Gluten is one of the proteins that should be avoided by CD patients. Gluten is present in grains like rye, barley, and even in wheat.
Celiac Disease – What You Should Know?
The worst part that everyone should understand is, there is no cure invented for this celiac disease even today. But there is one solution that helps in avoiding the triggers of symptoms. Patients suffering from this disease should follow a strict, gluten-free diet. This diet is also known as a celiac disease diet. Through this diet, they can easily heal their body. But, in most cases, it takes time even though the results are guaranteed.
Gluten should be completely avoided by CD patients. They should be very strict on their diet and say no to even a minimal amount of gluten content. If they consume foods containing even a small amount, they will experience damage to their intestine. Even though they are not experiencing any symptoms at some point, they cannot consume gluten-rich foods. The reason behind this is, gluten can trigger the symptoms at any point.
All About Celiac Diet
People who are diagnosed with celiac disease should start following a celiac diet. This is the only treatment method they have which can bring them some results and improvements. The first rule of this diet is they should start avoiding foods that contain gluten. Gluten is one of the naturally occurring proteins and it is found in grains.
If in case, people with CD consume foods containing gluten, then they will experience autoimmune responses immediately. This will lead to damages to the lining of the intestine. Because of this, there will be improper functioning of the small intestine and it cannot absorb nutrients as expected. Finally, CD patients will suffer from issues like malnutrition, weight loss, and diarrhea. There is only one solution and that is following a gluten-free diet quickly.
Benefits Of Gluten-free Diet
There are many benefits that CD patients can reap by following a strict gluten-free diet. Some of them are
- A gluten-free diet or celiac diet will result in the reduction of symptoms related to CD. So, they can come out of the common and uncomfortable issues like headaches, fatigue, abdominal pain, and indigestion
- Studies have shown that a gluten-free diet can result in improvements in more than 90 percent of the cases. Through this diet, they can easily improve their quality of life
- Some of the symptoms like diarrhea can be solved easily
- Celiac diet can result in best results like preventing the damages to the small intestine
- Once the damages are avoided, the intestine will start absorbing the nutrients from the food consumed. Hence CD patients can come out of malnutrition as well
Celiac Disease: Final Thoughts
Apart from this, the celiac diet can also improve fertility, reduce risks associated with cancer, and lessen the risks of osteoporosis in CD patients.